Wednesday, May 9, 2012

He Fills Our Hearts

Today was neat! Lunch at the school was great. After which, I came home and slept for… I don’t even know how long. And then we ate food! After dinner, we attempted to clean up, and somehow clean up became a massive wrestling match with all 5 of us kids. It was so much fun!

After the kitchen was clean my older cousin, little brother and sister got ready to go to a highschoolers’ lock-in at my cousin’s school. Once they were all ready, they left the apartment to go to the school and… stay awake all night.

My youngest cousin isn’t quite at the highschool age, so he had to stay here at the house. I’d stayed up really late the night before, and as fun as I am when I don’t sleep, I figured it’d be more beneficial to myself and to the rest of humanity if I stayed and actually went to sleep at some point in the night. Also, I’ve missed my cousin! And I figured that we might as well have a lock-in of our own! Even though I figured we’d end up sleeping. But sleep is beautiful. So that was okay with me.

We were just going to watch a movie with my aunt and uncle. It was some alien movie… But before we could watch it, we had to let it download, (we bought the movie on iTunes). I had a couple of e-mails that I wanted to reply to. My cousin was killing people on the Playstation with the new games my brother had given him, so I pulled out the laptop and began to type. A friend had sent me a link to a funny video on Youtube, and after I’d watched it, a link popped up to see the Miss America pageant from when Miss South Carolina gave her famous, “Like, such as” speech. I pulled out my earphones, and my aunt came over to watch it too. She leaned on the couch and laughed. A lot. My cousin had finished his game. So, he came over and sat next to me on the couch… and he laughed! A lot! We all laughed. A lot. I’m sure Jesus was so proud of us…

Well, after that my cousin and I spent a good long time watching various videos that showed… uh… “special” people… It was funny. And then he showed me these videos of people who are insanely good at playing basketball… er—really just throwing the basketball from unrealistically difficult places. It was so cool! Then we went from that, to me continuing my typing, and him playing his game on the iPad, connected by a shared pair of earphones. I played some of my favorite music, and we just kind of sat like that for a while. Occasionally we’d sway in unison to the music, and once or twice I pulled a sarcastic life lesson from the lyrics that we were both only half-listening to.

After a bit, the movie downloaded fully, and we started it. The movie was “Darkest Hour” and to be honest, it… it was... kind of… stupid.

But anyway, I sat on the couch and my cousin laid down, leaning against me. I spent most of the movie completely ruining his hairdo. By the time I was done playing with his hair, he looked like he’d stuck his finger in a socket. Twice.

The movie ended, and we lost my aunt and uncle to the depths of sleep. My cousin and I returned to sharing earphones, showing one another some of our favorite songs. Right now, he’s sitting next to me, playing a game on his iPad while I write…

And just a minute ago, it hit me. I would not choose to be anywhere else but right here in this moment with him…. Tonight will be a night that I hold very closely in my heart. Wrestling with my siblings and cousins in-between cleaning dishes, and then spending hours with my, “Little Buddy”, doing nothing more than sitting next to each other, watching movies and playing music…

See, these nights, these moments… they’re the things that really mean the world to me. They’re the moments that I love. The moments where I can simply… be, with the ones who make my world what it is! I love my cousins. I love them so much. And right now, sitting here with my Buddy at my side, life is… perfect.


I hope that I will never forget to cherish these moments. I hope that I’ll learn how to love them more deeply! And I hope I’ll learn how to notice everyday moments that could be turned into lifelong memories.
I hope I’ll always want to keep my loved ones close, and that a couch and a little bit of music with someone I love will always be something that fills my heart, and turns my mind to the goodness of God.

You see, He gave me this moment. He gave me tonight. And words cannot express how thankful I am that He does give me nights like tonight.

He truly does know the desires of our hearts. He knows our hearts, and He knows how to fill them… And He does fill them. Sometimes through a kind word from a stranger, sometimes through a feeling that He gives you, just to let you know He’s there, and sometimes… Sometimes through a shared pair of earphones with your Little Buddy at your side…

No comments:

Post a Comment