Friday, May 4, 2012

Not So Common

Something I have recently started doing is writing out my thoughts when I’m reading my Bible. It helps me to think more clearly. It also helps me to put little thought-fragments into whole ideas. I don’t know if that makes sense, and if it doesn’t please tell me and I’ll try to explain it more!

I’d like to share one of the things that hit me while I was reading the other day, for anyone who would like to know…

I was reading in Acts, chapter 10. This is the chapter in which God tells Peter through a vision that the strict rules about what is clean and what is unclean are removed. The wording of verse 15 hit me, “…What God has made clean do not call common.”

My notes were simply this:
“… God made me clean through Jesus. God made me clean. I wasn’t before; I am now. I’m not common anymore. I’m not to be overlooked, disdained by others, hated by God. I am not common- and neither is any one of God’s Children. We’re all made clean! There is nothing wrong with us! Nothing! We are not common anymore…”

I feel like it’s really easy to forget that we aren’t common, we aren’t unholy, and we aren’t unworthy. In our sinfulness, yeah, we are pretty rotten. On our own, we deserve Hell! But… When Jesus died for us, He wiped all of that away. He took the common and unholy beings that we were, and made us extraordinary! When God looks at us, He sees His Son. He sees His Son’s holiness, His Son’s worthiness. Just… thinking about that… When God looks at us, He sees Jesus’ perfection. On our own, we aren’t anything special. But with Jesus, we’re children of the King! That’s who we are! Not what we are! WHO we are! So, who are we to say we’re just average people; that we’re just like everyone else…. That’s not true. We are deeply loved, deeply cherished, completely precious to the God of the Universe! He has made us clean. We aren’t common anymore…

1 comment: